Wednesday 25 June 2014

I Heart DIY - Homemade Fresh Cuttlefish Ink Pasta

Since my last fresh pasta blog post, I break my old pasta maker which my dad got from supermarket. So I decide to get a better quality one because I’m so determined to make more fresh pasta at home. And luckily I found a good quality second hand pasta maker on eBay which is made in Italy and to be honest it make my life so much easier. Also the reason why I do a fresh pasta blog post again is that I finally find cuttlefish ink at Sydney Fish market which I’ve been looking for years. So I decide to make some black ink pasta with my new recipe and new pasta maker.
This time I swap half of the flour with semolina flour so it will give a softer texture on the final product, if you would like a chewy pasta just use all 00 flour instead. From my experience, the texture of pasta with semolina are more stable even if you leave it overnight for the next day, so I would prefer to substitute a portion no more than ½ while making pasta.
Hope you like this recipe as I was so excited with all my new toy and ingredient which I wanted for long time. Hopefully next time I do more dish with the cuttlefish ink, like the famous Venice cuttlefish ink risotto or Spanish ink marinate cuttlefish.

Ingredients (serve 4)

150g Semolina Flour
150g+50g Fine”00” Italian Flour
3 Eggs
1 tablespoon black cuttlefish Ink
Pinch of salt
1 teaspoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil (Optional)
1) Sift the 150g semolina and 150g fine “00” flour together on a clean working table.

2) Use your hand or fork to make a well big enough to sit 3 eggs and cuttlefish ink.
3) Crack the eggs in and whisk gently with your fork in the flour well.



4) Add in salt, cuttlefish ink and olive oil (optional) in to eggs mixture.
5) Slowly whisk in the flour until it form flour crumble. 
6) Knead the dough until it smooth and elastic about 10-15 minutes, (if the dough is sticky add in the extra flour or too dry add some water).



7) Wrap the dough in cling wrap paper and relax for 20 minutes.

8) Divide the dough into 4 (Approximately 140g each), take out 1 part at a time and cover the rest with cling wrap avoid drying.
9) Use your hand gently flatten the dough into a rectangle square.


10) Set up your pasta maker and set at the thickest setting, Roll the dough and then fold it in half for 2-3 times until the dough feel firm.
11) Start reducing the thickness of the dough until it reaches your desire thickness. (Please refer to your own pasta maker as I realise the scale is different for different brand, as I’m using Marcato Atlas Wellness 150 Pasta Maker and roll my pasta at #5)
12) Cut the pasta sheet into half so each batch is about 70g.
13) Dust extra flour on the pasta and roll the pasta sheet into the pasta cutter section. (I’m cutting it into Fettuccine style)




14) Cook in boiling water (add pinch of salt and oil) for 3-5 minutes depend on the thickness.
15) Cook with your choice of seafood, meats and any sauce (might make it extra black with more cuttlefish ink.)

Bon Appetite.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ma vie à FERRANDI Paris - week 1

Viola I’m now one step closer to my dream but I know there are still a long way to go. I was so excited that I cannot sleep the night...