Monday 17 February 2014

Cake n Roll - I ❤️ Mango Cake Roll


I feel like I haven’t been baking cake for a while now. Since Sydney had a pretty bad weather weekend, I couldn’t do much outdoor activity so I finally have time stay home and bake something after a week of busy catch up section with my friends and surprise them with my new pixie haircut.

When it comes to baking cake, majority are high in sugar and butter which not my cup of tea, and so for my family. Among all the cake I’ve made in the past. My mum loves the most of my cake roll which is light, soft and not as sweet. I got this recipe from one of my favourite Japanese cook which pretty much made me addicted with cooking and baking so much. This cake roll is a Japanese version which is lighter in texture but still yummy. I’m going to spoil the secret ingredient of why this cake roll is so soft and will not crack as easy as other. And this is the first time I draw on the cake roll and I’m really happy with the result, feel free to be creative. This is really fun.

Ingredient


Cake Roll

Mixture A                                                                        
3 egg yolk
30g sugar
40ml Vegetable Oil
60ml Water    
60g plain flour
20g Corn flour (If no corn flour at home and use all plain flour instead)

Mixture B
3 eggwhite
30g sugar

Mixture C
50g of Mixture A
1 eggwhite
1 teaspoon sugar
1-2 drop of pink colouring

Filling

150ml Thicken Cream
1 tablespoon icing sugar
½ Mango (or any fruit of your choice)



1)     Put baking paper on the 25cmx 25cm tray. (You can also use rectangle shape but the bigger the tray the thinner the cake.)

2)     Turn on the oven to 170C.
3)     Separate all the 3 egg yolk, 3 egg white and 1 egg white into separate bowl. (Make sure bowl is clean, no water, no oil.)
4)     Put in 30g sugar and beat with egg yolk until it become a pale yellow colour.

1)     Pour in the vegetable oil and mix well together.
2)     Pour in water and mix well together. (The secret ingredient ‘WATER’ which prevent the cake evaporate too much water while baking, so it become soft and have a bit more elastic. It will not easy to crack while you roll the cake.) 
1)     Sift the plain flour and corn flour together. Keep stirring mixture A and sift the flour in. 
2)     Measure 50g of mixture A for drawing, put 1-2 drop of pink colouring in and mix until the colour is even.
3)     Beat 1 egg white with 1 teaspoon of sugar until it form a soft peak.


1)     Combine 7) and 8).
2)     Put 9) into piping bag, and be creative J.
3)     Put in oven for 1-2 minute until the surface appears dry. 

4)     Once all the flour is mixed in, keep mix for another 1-2 minutes so make the cake become more elastic and easier to roll later on.
5)     Beat 3 egg whites until it foamy and mix in sugar. Keep beat in high speed until it forms a soft peak. (Mixture B)
6)     Mix in 1/3 of eggwhite in with mixture A until just combine. Keep mix in the egg white until it all combine. (DO NOT over mix it.)
1)     Pour the cake batter into cake pan and spread evenly, tap the cake pan to get rid of the bubble.
2)     Bake for 13-15 minutes, put in a skewer if come out clear then it ready.
3)     Put a baking paper on top of the cake; turn it over while it still hot.
4)     Peel the baking paper out. Put back the baking paper to avoid cake dry out.
5)     While waiting the cake to cool down, whip the cream with icing sugar until it firm and prepare any filling of your choice.
1)     Once cake cool down change a new baking paper. Slice the edge diagonally. Spread out the whipped cream evenly and place the mango.
2)     Roll the cake and use the baking paper to roll over the cake to adjust the shape. Be gentle but firm, because you don’t want the filling squeeze out or too loose.
3)     Put in fridge for at least an hour so the cream can become firmer. You are ready to serve. 


Bon Appetite.

2 comments:

  1. Look very soft. Wanna try....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for support. This cake is really soft and light :)

      Delete

Ma vie à FERRANDI Paris - week 1

Viola I’m now one step closer to my dream but I know there are still a long way to go. I was so excited that I cannot sleep the night...