Friday 21 February 2014

J'aime Paris - Pear Tarte Tatin

The first time I had this dessert is when I dined in a small family restaurant in Paris last year. My friends and I had no knowledge of French is limit to “Merci” and “excusez moi”, so obviously we had no idea what ‘Tarte Tatin’? And we ask the waitress who speaks little English only told us that are like apple pie. We are so amazed by this simple but delicious French dessert. It is quite different from what the typical apple pie we normally had.

This French Tarte Tatin is perfect for people who also love caramel, and pastry. It is a very easy dessert, I usually prepared the ingredient before dinner and start baking when I start dinner, by the time we finish our meals it just the perfect time for dessert. You can also use apple for this recipe.
Ingredients
1 ½ tablespoons water

100g sugars (may adjust according to the sweetness of fruit)

3 pears (a bit ripe but still firm)

1 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

1 tablespoon melted butter

1 sheet puff pastry
1) Put water and sugar in a non-stick pan over medium heat.
2) Cook and stir until sugar dissolves. Shimmer without stirring until syrup turns to light golden color. Be careful not burn the sugar.
3)  Combine the pear with lemon juice and melted butter together.
4) Once the syrup is done, arrange the pear with cut side up and cook over medium heat until the pears start to soften. Set aside to cool completely.
5) Pre-heated oven to 200C fan forced.
6) Cut the pastry just about 1 cm bigger than the pan.
7) Place the pastry over the top and tuck in any excess in the edge.
8)Bake for 20-30 minutes.
9)Set aside for 10 minutes to cool down before turn over the tart.
10) Garnish it with ice cream.

Note:

I’m using Le Creuset 18cm casserole pot which can be use for both stove and oven. If you don’t have cast iron pot, you can cook the pear in normal saucepan and arrange on tart pan for baking.

I usually make this with granny smith apple but I only have pear at home when I made it, if you are using pear you might need to reduce the sugar, as my pear is actually quite sweet.

Bon appetite. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ma vie à FERRANDI Paris - week 1

Viola I’m now one step closer to my dream but I know there are still a long way to go. I was so excited that I cannot sleep the night...