Thursday 17 July 2014

Happy Birthday to My Dearest Mum – Custard Profiterole Chocolate Mousse Cake

Finally I finish writing blog post for the cake I made for my dearest mum Birthday. I was trying to make her a very gourmet like cake, just like those from famous chocolate shop such as Lindt Café. Since I know Mum chocolate and also profiterole (which I normally won’t need to give it away because she can always finish them no matter what), therefore I thought to combined those 2 together for this year birthday cake.



Originally, I was planned to decorate a profiterole tower on top of the cake but due to some technical issue (My fridge wasn’t tall enough to store the cake.), I end up just decorate the profiterole round the cake and first time in my life, free hand write on top of the cake a Happy Birthday message. Well to be honest, you may see my first attempt is terrible which is too bad that I have to wipe it off and ruin the beautiful mirror glaze. But luckily second attempt is so much better and I was very happy about it. 
This cake isn't too hard to make but it was pretty time consuming because of all the decorations. It was my first attempt to make the chocolate mirror glaze and it stunned me so much because it made the cake look 10 times more gourmet and expensive. Also the chocolate mousse was relatively easy to make, it was so creamy and rich in flavour and I do recommended to use at least 70% cocoa dark chocolate for the cake so you won’t end up with dilute chocolate taste.

I hope you enjoy this recipe and again wish my Mum a Happy Birthday.

Ingredients

Chocolate Mousse Cake
1 Chocolate Sponge Cake (Please see Strawberry White Chocolate Lemon Mousse Cake recipe for Sponge cake, add 1 tablespoon of cocoa powder)
150g (70%) Dark Chocolate
40ml extra virgin olive oil
210ml thickened cream
Pinch of smoked salt

Chocolate Mirror Glazing
3 tablespoon thickened cream
½ cup caster sugar
½ cup water
45g cocoa powder
1 ½ teaspoon gelatine powder

Vanilla Custard
Please see Recipe Napoleon Cake for custard recipe, you may half the quantity

Profiterole
Please See Crème Puff (Profiterole) Recipe
100g Dark Chocolate
20ml extra virgin olive oil
1) Break the dark chocolate into broken pieces and heat above shallow shimmering water until fully melted. (Do not leave the chocolate on shimmering water for too long; take it out immediately when melted.)


2) Add in the extra virgin olive oil into melted chocolate and mix well together. Set aside and let it cool down a bit.
3) Meanwhile whip the cream until soft peak form, and fold in with the chocolate until well combined.
4) Prepare 3 slice of sponge cake, place 1 in the cake mould and spoon half of the chocolate mousse on top, spread out evenly.

5) Repeat step 4) and finish the cake with another piece of sponge cake on top. 

6) Put the cake in fridge for at least an hour to let the mousse set.
7) For Chocolate mirror glaze, soak the gelatine with 1 1.2 tablespoons water and set aside.


8) Combine all other ingredients in a pot and mix well together. 
9) Heat in low medium heat but not boiling and keep stirring until the mixture is thickened.

10) Let the glaze cool down room temperature. Microwave the gelatine for 5-10 second until it become clear and adds into chocolate glaze, mix well together.
11) Take the mousse cake out and place on a wire rack with a plate underneath, slowly pour the chocolate glaze over the cake and let it smooth out evenly. (You may repeat it 2-3 times and make sure the side of the cake is coat with glaze too.)
12) Put the cake back in fridge and let the glaze to set. Meanwhile prepare you profiterole and filled with custard. 
13) Mix melted dark chocolate and extra virgin olive oil together, dip the top of profiterole in and spread some chocolate on the bottom to stick on top of the cake.
14) Decorate the cake with Profiterole as desire.

Bon Appetite.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ma vie à FERRANDI Paris - week 1

Viola I’m now one step closer to my dream but I know there are still a long way to go. I was so excited that I cannot sleep the night...